For many of us, Memorial Day Weekend marks the unofficial start to summer. The kids are out of school, the Atlanta weather has warmed up, and the outdoor activities are in full swing! We’ve put together a list of ways for you to commemorate your troops and enjoying what Atlanta has to offer.
- Salute your troops at Stone Mountain! Filled with family-friendly patriotic activities, Stone Mountain is honoring our troops and their families during this 3-Day spectacular event. Come watch the laser show, a special fireworks finale with a salute to our troops, or participate in one of Stone Mountain’s many unique adventures. Join your family in the Skyhike and cool off at the Geyser Towers afterward! Adventure Passes are available online and include a free meal with unlimited drink refills.
- Atlanta Jazz Festival. Featuring show-stopping jazz artists from all over the world, this 3-day festival is known as one of the country’s largest FREE jazz festivals. The festival will have an incredible Artists Market as well as food and beverage vendors near all the sound stages.
3. Lake Lanier Memorial Day Celebration. From Friday, May 23rd through Sunday, May 25th, kick off summer vacation with a refreshing ride down one of Lake Lanier’s waterslides and live music! In addition to outdoor fun and attractions, this weekend celebration will feature a firework show, carnival rides, water-front dining, and outdoor games for everyone from children to the adventure enthusiast.
4. Atlanta Braves vs. Boston Red Sox. On Memorial Day, cheer on your favorite Atlanta baseball team as they take on the Boston Red Sox at Turner Field! The game begins at 1:10 p.m., and tickets are available in advance online.
5. Artillery Demonstration at Kennesaw Mountain: Commemorate the history of our troops at Kennesaw Mountain with artillery demonstrations across various battlefields! Times included are: 11:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m., and 3:00 p.m.
6. Annual Spring Arts in the Park: Head up to Marietta on Saturday, May 24th and admire artwork and enjoy tasty food from over 175 exhibitors and vendors. Admission fee is $5 for adults. Children admitted free. Proceeds go to the Blue Ridge Mountains Arts Association.
7. Bavarianfest: From 6:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 24th, the town of Helen will be honoring our soldiers with their annual Bavarianfest: Live German Band, wursts on a bun, Bavarian pretzels, import and domestic beers, and more!
8. Brew at the Zoo: Sample frosty beers and enjoy live music at Zoo Atlanta’s Brew at the Zoo, all while taking in a cornucopia of the world’s most exotic wildlife. The Atlanta Zoo will be closing early for the event, which begins on Saturday, May 24th at 5:30 p.m. Tickets and various pricing are available online.
9. Memorial Day Weekend Festival: Escape the city and kick off summer at Callaway Gardens. In addition to the annual Masters Waterski & Wakeboard Tournatment, fun attractions include: live music, the Callaway Gardens Farmers Market, beach activities, kids zones, great food, drink specials and much more.