Virginia Highland has a cool, artsy vibe and is popular with singles and families alike. This is one of the best neighborhoods in Atlanta for “walkability”. The neighborhood has a wide variety of choices for shopping, dining and nightlife concentrated within a few blocks. You’ll find charming cottages, bungalows and even a few new construction homes.
This historic neighborhood was developed in the early 1900′s, it consists of seven distinct commercial “villages” alternating with short, walkable blocks. The neighborhood’s name derives from the intersection of Virginia and Highland Avenues.
Virginia-Highland also boasts some of the best schools in the City of Atlanta, including the gorgeous new Springdale Park Elementary.
Quick Search: Search Virginia Highland Homes by price
Custom Search: See all homes for sale in Virginia Highland and Atlanta
Find a home you will love! Create a home wish list and register for my free Home Finder Alert. You will receive an email each time a new home comes on the market that matches what you’re looking for, so you’ll be the first to see new listings!
Video of Virginia Highland
See the sights and sounds of Virginia Highland in this video.
Shopping and Dining
Murphy’s is a popular gathering spot for brunch, lunch or dinner. Atkins Park is Atlanta’s oldest continuously licensed tavern and is great for burgers and beer…and don’t forget Taco Mac and Moe’s & Joe’s, also great spots to quench your thirst! If you are in the mood for margaritas and tapas, then try Noche. Craving Italian? La Tavola has pasta galore or try Everybody’s for pizza!
For great music, stop by Blind Willie’s or Dark Horse Tavern. Ready for shopping? My personal favorite is Festivity for fun fashions, gifts and jewelry. For hand-crafted treasures, check out The Indie-Pendent located at 1052 St. Charles Avenue, in the alley just past the strip of retail that includes Belly General Store and Ten Thousand Villages.
Health & Fitness
Virginia Highland has a wide assortment of health and fitness classes from yoga and Pilates to high-intensity weight training. Here are a few of our favorites.
Urban Body Fitness – Urban Body has it all! Their fitness center has state-of-the-art equipment as well as boot camp, personal training and group classes in Kickboxing, Indoor Cycling, Step Body Sculpting and more. They also have a Pilates and Yoga studio which offer classes and private instruction including Yoga, Pilates, TRX training and a unique program called Oh Baby which include Pre & Post Natal classes and Baby & Me classes. Urban Body Fitness also has a full service Spa & Salon to soothe those sore muscles with a therapeutic massage and pamper you with a refreshing facial. Urban Body Fitness is located at 500 Amsterdam Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30306 404-885-1499. Connect with Urban Body Fitness on FaceBook.
LA Fitness Ansley Mall- LA Fitness has a sauna, juice bar and a kids club. They offer personal training as well as classes in Kickboxing, Cardio, Pilates, Water Aerobics, Spinning, Zumba, Yoga and more. LA Fitness is located at 1544 Piedmont Avenue NE, Suite 115, Atlanta, GA 30324 404-249-6463. Connect with LA Fitness Ansley Mall on FaceBook.
- MODO Fitness – This Bootcamp/Fitness Class held at Piedmont Park in Midtown Atlanta. Don’t let the word “Bootcamp” scare you. This is a friendly group. No one will scream in your face, I promise. MODO offers an encouraging and accountable atmosphere with certified instructors and leadership team to guide you through the program and maximize your results by teaching proper techniques, nutrition and lifestyle coaching. MODO Fitness is located in Piedmont Park 502 10th St. NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30309, (404) 731-3319. Connect with MODO Fitness on FaceBook.
Most of us are trying to live cleaner and greener these days and take better care of our planet. Here are a few ways to live greener in Virginia Highland:
- Eat fresh and support local farmers. Visit Morningside Farmers’ Market every Saturday year round from 8am to 11:30am. It is located at 1393 N. Highland Ave. The Green Market for Piedmont Park is open every Saturday from 9am – 1pm, May through December. It is located at Piedmont Park’s 12th Street entrance gate.
- Recycle. The City of Atlanta offers curbside recycling pickup on a voluntary basis. Every resident is given a small recycling bin when establishing service. Click here for City of Atlanta recycling information.
- Drive less, take MARTA. There are numerous bus routes and rail routes that will take you to locations throughout Atlanta and Atlanta suburbs.
- Carpool! The Clean Air Campaign is a Georgia nonprofit organization created to improve air quality and reduce traffic congestion. Find a carpool partner and earn money!
- VA-Highland Summerfest – Summerfest celebrates the beginning of summer with diverse arts, great food, live musical performances and much more. The festival takes place along Virginia Avenue, in the heart of historic Virginia-Highland. Held in June. June 4 – 5, 2011.
- Virginia Highland Fallfest – Held each September, the Virginia Highland Fallfest features great music, food and friends!
- The Virginia Highland Home Tour – Held each December, this event showcases Virginia Highland’s best homes.
- Read more about Virginia Highland and Midtown Atlanta on our Blog!
Parks & Recreation
- New Highland Park -Construction is scheduled to begin soon on this new park at the corner of N. Highland and St. Charles Place.
- Piedmont Park – with approximately 189 acres, Atlanta’s Piedmont Park is the city’s favorite in-town park for hosting a variety of events and activities.
- Piedmont Dog Park – Opened in 2002, Piedmont Dog Park is one of the few locations in metro Atlanta where dogs may run free. This special off-leash area, open since 2002, is one of the most popular features of Piedmont Park.
- Atlanta Botanical Garden – The Atlanta Botanical Garden is adjacent to Piedmont Park on Piedmont Avenue and has a variety of year round events.
- MARTA – Atlanta’s public transportation system, including subways and buses, serving the city of Atlanta and Fulton and Dekalb counties. MARTA stands for Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority. Sandy Springs rail station offers short and long term parking.
Virginia Highland offers outstanding academic options for children of all ages. In addition to the following list, you can find out more information about metro Atlanta schools at Great Schools and AJC.
- ABC Early Learning Academy offers preschool for children six weeks to PreK. 420 Ponce De Leon Avenue NE, Atlanta, GA 30308. (404) 541-0700
- The Children’s Center at All Saints – 644 W Peachtree Street, Atlanta, GA 30308. (404)881-3790. Offers programs for children 6 weeks to 4 years.
- R. Kirk Landon Learning Center – 1015 Tumlin Street NW, Atlanta, GA 30318. (404)249-1500. Early education for children 6 weeks to 5 years.
- YWCA Atlanta - Northeast Intown YWCA, 957 North Highland Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30306 offers the Early Learning Academy for infants through 4 years old and After school Learning Academy for ages 5 – 12.
- Morningside Elementary – 1053 East Rock Springs Road, NE, Atlanta, GA 30306. (404) 802-8950. It is located in the Morningside community and currently serves the neighborhoods of Morningside, Lenox Park, Sherwood Forest, Piedmont Heights, and Ansley Park. To check the attendance zone for a particular address, please contact the school office at 404-853-4024 or call APS Facilities Services Department at 404-802-3731.
- Mary Lin Elementary – 586 Candler Park Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30307. (404) 802-8850. Mary Lin is located in Candler Park and serves approximately 500 students in Kindergarten through 5th grades in the Candler Park, Inman Park, Lake Claire, Poncey Highlands, and Druid Hills communities
- Springdale Park Elementary – 1246 Ponce de Leon Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30306. (404) 802-6050. Also known as SPARK, this beautiful new LEED certified school was built to accommodate the growing number of students from the Virginia Highlands area. SPARK attendance zone map
- The Atlanta School - 1015 Edgewood Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30307. (404) 688-9550. Serves 57 students in grades PreK – 8th.
- The Children’s School 345 Tenth Street NE, Atlanta, GA 30309. 384 students in grades Pre-K through 6th.
- Cliff Valley School – 2426 Clairmont Road, Atlanta, GA 30329. 164 students is grades PreK through 5th grade.
- The Paideia School – 1509 Ponce De Leon Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30307. (404) 377-3491. The Paideia School is coed and nonsectarian, serving 929 students in grades PreK-12.
More information on Atlanta area Public and Private schools
Selling your home
Selling your home in Virginia Highland? Becky combines traditional real estate methods with state-of-the-art Internet marketing. Each home is unique. Becky will meet with you, listen to your goals and customize a marketing plan for you and your home. When you list your Virginia Highlands home with Becky, your home will be receive professional staging, top quality photography, virtual tour, a website/URL devoted exclusively to your home, custom designed color brochure, 24 hour buyer hot line, agent-to-agent marketing strategies, consistent feedback from agents and buyers who view your home, top negotiating skills and contract-to-closing expertise. Schedule your Free Home Marketing Analysis.
Connect with Virginia Highland friends and neighbors on Facebook My Virginia Highlands Home
* All information believed accurate but is not warranted. All rights reserved.