About Virginia Highland
Virginia Highland has a cool, artsy vibe and is popular with singles and families alike. VaHi is one of the best neighborhoods in Atlanta for “walkability”. The neighborhood has a wide variety of choices for shopping, dining and nightlife concentrated within a few blocks. You’ll find charming cottages, bungalows and even a few new construction homes.
This historic neighborhood was developed in the early 1900’s, it consists of seven distinct commercial “villages” alternating with short, walkable blocks. The neighborhood’s name derives from the intersection of Virginia and Highland Avenues.
Virginia-Highland also boasts some of the best schools in the City of Atlanta, including Springdale Park Elementary.
Quick Search: Search Virginia Highland Homes by price
New Construction Virginia Highland Homes
Custom Search: See all homes for sale in Virginia Highland and Atlanta
Search for homes by school district – go to Advanced Search and search by Elementary School, Middle School or High School.
Find a home you will love! Create a home wish list and register for our free Home Finder Alert. You will receive an email each time a new home comes on the market that matches what you’re looking for, so you’ll be the first to see new listings!
Virginia Highland Market Report
Stay Informed! Learn more about the Virginia Highland Real Estate market including statistics on median price, list-to-sales price, days on market, inventory trends and see homes that have sold in the past 30 days.
This report is generated in real time and is provided as a snapshot of the Virginia Highland real estate market. Contact our team for more specific information and expert advice. View Brookhaven Market Reports below by price range.
Click the link at the top of each report and get monthly market reports delivered to your inbox.
Video of Virginia Highland
See the sights and sounds of Virginia Highland in this video.
Shopping and Dining
Murphy’s is a popular gathering spot for brunch, lunch or dinner. Atkins Park is Atlanta’s oldest continuously licensed tavern and is great for burgers and beer…and don’t forget Taco Mac and Moe’s & Joe’s, also great spots to quench your thirst! Craving Italian? La Tavola has pasta galore!
Health & Fitness
Virginia Highland has a wide assortment of health and fitness classes from yoga and Pilates to high-intensity weight training. Here are a few of our favorites.
- Urban Body Fitness – Urban Body has it all! Their fitness center has state-of-the-art equipment as well as boot camp, personal training and group classes in Kickboxing, Indoor Cycling, Step Body Sculpting and more. They also have a Pilates and Yoga studio which offer classes and private instruction including Yoga, Pilates, TRX training and a unique program called Oh Baby which include Pre & Post Natal classes and Baby & Me classes. Urban Body Fitness also has a full service Spa & Salon to soothe those sore muscles with a therapeutic massage and pamper you with a refreshing facial. Urban Body Fitness is located at 500 Amsterdam Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30306 404-885-1499. Connect with Urban Body Fitness on FaceBook.
- LA Fitness Ansley Mall – LA Fitness has a sauna, juice bar and a kids club. They offer personal training as well as classes in Kickboxing, Cardio, Pilates, Water Aerobics, Spinning, Zumba, Yoga and more. LA Fitness is located at 1544 Piedmont Avenue NE, Suite 115, Atlanta, GA 30324 404-249-6463. Connect with LA Fitness Ansley Mall on FaceBook.
- MODO Fitness – This Bootcamp/Fitness Class held at Piedmont Park in Midtown Atlanta. Don’t let the word “Bootcamp” scare you. This is a friendly group. No one will scream in your face, I promise. MODO offers an encouraging and accountable atmosphere with certified instructors and leadership team to guide you through the program and maximize your results by teaching proper techniques, nutrition and lifestyle coaching. MODO Fitness is located in Piedmont Park 502 10th St. NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30309, (404) 731-3319.
Most of us are trying to live cleaner and greener these days and take better care of our planet. Here are a few ways to live greener in Virginia Highland:
- Eat fresh and support local farmers. Visit Morningside Farmers’ Market every Saturday year round from 8 am to 11:30 am. It is located at 1393 N. Highland Ave. The Green Market for Piedmont Park is open every Saturday from 9am – 1pm, May through December. It is located at Piedmont Park’s 12th Street entrance gate.
- Recycle. The City of Atlanta offers curbside recycling pickup on a voluntary basis. Every resident is given a small recycling bin when establishing service. Click here for City of Atlanta recycling information.
- Drive less, take MARTA. There are numerous bus routes and rail routes that will take you to locations throughout Atlanta and Atlanta suburbs.
- VA-Highland Summerfest – Summerfest celebrates the beginning of summer with diverse arts, great food, live musical performances and much more. The festival takes place along Virginia Avenue, in the heart of historic Virginia-Highland. Held in June.
- Festival on Ponce – an Atlanta arts and crafts festival set in the historic park, Olmsted Linear Park. In addition to the fine arts, there will be a children’s area and local food and beverage. Attendance is Free.
- The Virginia Highland Home Tour – Held each December, this event showcases Virginia Highland’s best homes.
- Read more about Virginia Highland and Intown Atlanta on our Blog!
Parks & Recreation
- North Highland Park -Virginia Highland’s newest park! Located at the corner of N. Highland and St. Charles Place.
- Piedmont Park – with approximately 189 acres, Atlanta’s Piedmont Park is the city’s favorite in-town park for hosting a variety of events and activities.
- Piedmont Dog Park – Opened in 2002, Piedmont Dog Park is one of the few locations in metro Atlanta where dogs may run free. This special off-leash area, open since 2002, is one of the most popular features of Piedmont Park.
- Atlanta Botanical Garden – The Atlanta Botanical Garden is adjacent to Piedmont Park on Piedmont Avenue and has a variety of year round events.
- MARTA – Atlanta’s public transportation system, including subways and buses, serving the city of Atlanta and Fulton and Dekalb counties. MARTA stands for Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority. Sandy Springs rail station offers short and long term parking.
Virginia Highland offers outstanding academic options for children of all ages. In addition to the following list, you can find out more information about metro Atlanta schools at Great Schools.
- ABC Early Learning Academy offers preschool for children six weeks to PreK. 420 Ponce De Leon Avenue NE, Atlanta, GA 30308. (404) 541-0700
- The Children’s Center at All Saints – 644 W Peachtree Street, Atlanta, GA 30308. (404)881-3790. Offers programs for children 6 weeks to 4 years.
- R. Kirk Landon Learning Center – 1015 Tumlin Street NW, Atlanta, GA 30318. (404)249-1500. Early education for children 6 weeks to 5 years.
- YWCA Atlanta – Northeast Intown YWCA, 957 North Highland Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30306 offers the Early Learning Academy for infants through 4 years old and After school Learning Academy for ages 5 – 12.
- Morningside Elementary – 1053 East Rock Springs Road, NE, Atlanta, GA 30306. (404) 802-8950. It is located in the Morningside community and currently serves the neighborhoods of Morningside, Lenox Park, Sherwood Forest, Piedmont Heights, and Ansley Park. To check the attendance zone for a particular address, please contact the school office at 404-853-4024 or call APS Facilities Services Department at 404-802-3731.
- Mary Lin Elementary – 586 Candler Park Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30307. (404) 802-8850. Mary Lin is located in Candler Park and serves approximately 500 students in Kindergarten through 5th grades in the Candler Park, Inman Park, Lake Claire, Poncey Highlands, and Druid Hills communities
- Springdale Park Elementary – 1246 Ponce de Leon Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30306. (404) 802-6050. Also known as SPARK, this beautiful new LEED certified school was built to accommodate the growing number of students from the Virginia Highlands area. SPARK attendance zone map.
- The Children’s School – 345 Tenth Street NE, Atlanta, GA 30309. 384 students in grades Pre-K through 6th.
- Cliff Valley School – 2426 Clairmont Road, Atlanta, GA 30329. 164 students is grades PreK through 5th grade.
- The Paideia School – 1509 Ponce De Leon Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30307. (404) 377-3491. The Paideia School is coed and nonsectarian, serving 929 students in grades PreK-12.
More information on Atlanta area Public and Private schools.
Selling your home
Selling your home in Virginia Highland? Morris Raney Real Estate combines traditional real estate methods with state-of-the-art Internet marketing.
Each home is unique. Our team will meet with you, listen to your goals and customize a marketing plan for you and your home. When you list your Virginia Highland home with the Morris Raney team, your home will be receive professional staging, magazine quality photography, virtual tour, a website devoted exclusively to your home, custom designed color brochure, agent-to-agent marketing strategies, consistent feedback from agents and buyers who view your home, top negotiating skills and contract-to-closing expertise.
Connect with Virginia Highland friends and neighbors on Facebook My Virginia Highlands Home