Atlanta is home to some of the most adored and pampered pets. Atlanta owners spend money and time on their pets to make them the healthiest, cutest and most well-behaved pet on the block. Whether you’re a cat person or a dog person, Atlanta offers a variety of options for your pet.
- Alpharetta Animal Hospital (Alpharetta) – 80 Milton Avenue 770-475-7613 Over 45 years of serving North Fulton pets medical needs, Alpharetta Animal Hospital also offers grooming and boarding.
- Ansley Animal Clinic (Midtown) – 593 Dutch Valley Road 404-573-1786. For over 30 years, Ansley Animal Clinic has been the go to clinic for residents in Ansley Park, Morningside and Piedmont Park areas.
- Atlanta Animal Ambulance – (678) 439-K911 -A licensed and permitted company to pickup and transfer injured and/or severely ill animals to a local veterinarian or an Emergency Animal Hospital. Atlanta Animal Ambulance handle more emergency and non-emergency calls.
- Briarcliff Animal Clinic (Emory/Morningside) – 1850 Johnson Road NE 404-835-1216. More than 50 years in the Atlanta community, Briarcliff Animal Clinic offers extended hours weekdays and weekends.
- Buckhaven Veterinarian Clinic (Brookhaven) – 4226 Peachtree Road NE, Brookhaven, GA 30319. 404-841-3647
- Buckhead Animal Clinic (Buckhead) – 1911 Piedmont Circle 404-873-3771. Over 50 years of treating pets.
- Clairmont Animal Hospital (Decatur) – 1226 Clairmont Road 404-633-6163. Open 7 days a week, Clairmont has been serving Decatur pets for over 20 years.
- Peachtree Hills Animal Hospital (Buckhead) – 2909 Peachtree Road 404-812-9880. Opened in 2005, staff goes above and beyond to ease the worried mind.
- The Village Vets (Decatur) – 217 North McDonough Street 404-371-0111. Opened over 10 years ago by a husband/wife veterinarian duo, The Village Vet is known for it’s compassion for it’s patients and it’s pro-bono work with local pet rescue groups.
- Webb Bridge Animal Hospital (Alpharetta) – 3953 Webb Bridge Road 770-751-0524. For over 10 years, Webb Bridge has grown as they have continued to provide quality and compassionate care of the local pets. In October 2010, the long awaited new office has opened! Adjacent to the existing office, the new state of the art facility is bigger and better than ever.
- Wieuca Animal Clinic (Buckhead) – 4589 Roswell Road 404-252-8676 – A full service animal hospital.
Pet Emergency Care
An injury or illness to your pet can happen at any time. When it happens after regular business hours, owners wonder who to call and where to go. This is a list of clinics that offer services when your regular veterinarian office is closed. You may want to call your veterinarian office first to see if they have on-call services or if they have a relationship with an emergency care facility.
- Animal Emergency Center of North Fulton (Roswell) – 900 Mansell Road Suite 19. 770-594-2266. Established in 1991, AECNF was established to provide after hours, weekend and holiday emergency pet service.
- Atlanta Animal Ambulance – 678-439-K911 -A licensed and permitted company to pickup and transfer injured and/or severely ill animals to a local veterinarian or an Emergency Animal Hospital. Atlanta Animal Ambulance handle more emergency and non-emergency calls.
- Cobb Emergency Veterinary Clinic (Marietta) – 630 Cobb Parkway North. 770-424-9157. Open 24/7 year round, Cobb EVC offers top-notch care to pets as well as wildlife rescue.
- Georgia Veterinary Specialist (Sandy Springs) – 455 Abernathy Road NE, 404-459-0903. Provides advanced diagnostic and treatment technology by veterinarian specialists. GVS is a 24/7 emergency care and critical care facility.
Most counties in Georgia have laws requiring pets to be on a leash while in public areas. The following is a list of dog parks in the metro area where dogs are allowed to run free and play in a confined area with other dogs.
- Alpharetta Dog Park – Waggy World Paw Park is set aside a beautiful 1.5 acre area behind the Alpharetta Community Center at Wills Park to provide this popular amenity for the citizens and pups of Alpharetta.
- Atlanta Dog Parks – Piedmont Dog Park – Opened in 2002, Piedmont Dog Park is one of the few locations in metro Atlanta where dogs may run free. This special off-leash area, open since 2002, is one of the most popular features of Piedmont Park.
- Brookhaven Dog Park – A 5.5 acre fully fenced, off-leash park located within the greater Brookhaven Park .
- Dunwoody Dog Park – Brook Run Dog Park is a four-acre, off-leash dog park that is maintained by volunteers.
- Decatur Dog Parks – Decatur offers three dog parks for citizens and their dogs to have an opportunity to exercise and socialize. The three dog parks are Adair Dog Park, Glenlake Dog Park and Oakhurst Dog Park.
- Marietta Dog Parks– Both Lewis Park and Sweat Mountain Park have off-leash dog areas.
- Norcross Dog Park – Pinckneyville Dog Park has separate large and small dog fenced playgrounds.
- Johns Creek Dog Park – Newtown Dog Park is located inside Newtown Park toward the front entrance, behind the outdoor basketball courts. It is a fenced area approximately one-half acre in size and has separate areas for large and small dogs, with benches and a dog water drinking station.
- Smyrna Dogs Parks – Burger Park and Lake Court Park have off-leash areas. Burger park is located at 680 Glendale Pl SE, Smyrna, GA 30080. Lake Court Park is located at 3500 Lake Dr SE., Smyrna, GA 30082.
Pet Boutiques and Supplies
- CityDog Market (Brookhaven) – 4244 Peachtree Road 404-816-8050 -Known as the Whole Foods for pets, CityDog Market carries all-natural and organic food and treats for dogs and cats. They also have a section of pet accessories.
- Duguroo (Midtown) – 1456 Northside Drive 404-350-7877 – A full service dog store offering all natural food, accessories, boarding grooming and more.
- Highland Pet Supply (Virginia Highland) – 1186 North Highland Avenue 404-892-5900. Sells high quality dog and cat products and offers self-service dog washing tubs. Highland Pet Supply also has an online store.
- Inman Park Pet Works (Inman Park) – 914-A Austin Avenue 404-522-4544. Carry unusual pet products along with natural and holistic foods and treats for dogs and cats.
- Mom & Pup’s (Marietta) – 800 Whitlock Avenue Suite 104 770-590-5100. A family owned boutique offering everything needed for cats and dogs.
- Red Bandanna (Various Locations) – Strives to bring you the most healthy, nutritious dog and cat food available on the market today.
- Top Dogs Pet Boutique (Roswell) – 900 Mansell Road Suite 13. 770-641-8620. Stocks a large variety of Natural/Holistic Foods, has a variety of merchandise and host events such as photos with Santa and pet adoptions.
- Woof Gang Bakery (Buckhead) – 2815 Peachtree Road NE 404-812-WOOF. A franchise Florida company, Woof Gang Bakery offers fresh baked gourmet dog treats along with natural pet foods, toys, and fashion accessories.
Thousands of homeless pets of all breeds, sizes and ages are in need of a loving family. If you are ready to open your heart and home open for a pet, look no further than a local animal rescue group.
- Animal Action Rescue – A no-kill facility founded in 2001 which rescues animals from high-kill shelters and promotes spay/neuter.
- Atlanta Animal Rescue Friends – 6570 James B. Rivers Memorial Drive, Stone Mountain 678-318-1886 – Established in 2002, 80% of their animals come from county shelters.
- Atlanta Humane Society – 981 Howell Mill Road, Atlanta 404-875-5331. Established is 1873, majority of the dogs and cats are from owner surrenders.
- Best Friends Pet Adoption Center– 4874 S Atlanta Rd SE, Smyrna, GA 30339 404-815-6680. Founded in 2000. Majority of animals are received by animal control.
- Furkids Animal Rescue – 2650 Pleasantdale Road Suite 8 770-613-0880. Established is 2002, their adoptable animals we strays or surrendered by owners.
- Good Mews – 736 Johnson Ferry Road Suite A3, Marietta 770-499-2287. Established is 1988 to care for and find homes for homeless cats
- PAWS Atlanta – 5287 Covington Highway, Decatur 770-593-1155. Established in 1966. Most dogs and cars are saved from “kill” facilities and puppy mills.
- Small Dog Rescue and Humane Society – Focuses on small dog rescues from local shelters and puppy mills.
- PetFinder.com – An online database of animals who need homes. Thousands of animal shelters and adoption agencies advertise their adoptable animals on this website.
Pet Friendly Dining
- Bruster’s (Various Locations)- Offers Doggy Sundaes to each canine visitor.
- Kaleidoscope Bistro & Pub (Brookhaven) – 1410 Dresden Dr, Suite 100, Brookhaven, GA, 30319. Large pet-friendly patio.
- Living Room at The W (Midtown) – 188 Fourteenth Street (404) 892-6000. Mutts & Martinis occurs every 2nd Wednesday of the month and is partnered with the Atlanta Pet Rescue. There are signature cocktails for humans and mutttini’s for the pooches.
- Mosaic (Buckhead) – 3097 Maple Drive 404-846-5722. Offers a large pet friendly patio.
- Nancy G’s Cafe (Buckhead) – 4920 Roswell Road (404) 705-8444. Offers a “Doggie Dining” menu that includes special treats for your pup.
- Parkgrounds Coffee Shop (Atlanta) – 142 Flat Shoals Avenue 678-528-9901
- Sophie’s Uptown 54 Pharr Road, Atlanta, Georgia 404 812-0477 People treats. Animal love. Named in memory of a beloved rescued dog named Sophie, 25% of all profits benefit Atlanta animal charities.
- Treehouse (Buckhead) – 7 Kings Circle NE 404-266-2732. A great meeting place for residents of Peachtree Hills. Many weekends the patio is filled with residents…both 2 legged and 4 legged.
- Paolos Gelato Italiano (Virginia Highland) – 1025 Virginia Avenue NE. Pets love the non-dairy, sugar-free, vanilla pet gelato.
- Bark Busters Home Dog Training – 877-500-BARK. A national dog training specializing in in-home training using all-natural methods of body language and voice control that is effective on dogs of all ages.
- Frogs to Dogs (Atlanta) – 2006 Hosea L. Williams 404-735-6237. Offers private and group training along with pet walking and pet sitting services.
- Jabula Dog Academy (Decatur) – 138 New Street 404-373-6258, Offers a satellite office in Brookhaven at City Dog Market 4244 Peachtree Road 404-816-8050. Provides group, private and board training to pets and their owners in order to improve handling and behavior.
- K-9 Coach (Smyrna) – 4870 South Atlanta Road 404-603-9744. Provides flexible training options suited for your needs and the needs of your dog.
- MerryMac Dog Training and Nutrition Center (Marietta) – 2550 Sandy Plains Road Suite 365 770-579-3865. Offers a gentle approach of dog training in private and group settings.
Kennels and Day Care
Below is a list of the top rated places to take your pet to play for the day or to stay while you’re away. Always do your research before leaving your pets…..read reviews, tour the facility and ask questions. Leaving your pet is a hard thing to do but if you know they are in good hands, it makes it a little easier.
- Barking Hound Village (various locations) – Barking Hound offers daycare, boarding and grooming. Different Barking Hound locations cater to specific needs.
- Bed and Bark (Smyrna) – 4870 South Atlanta Road (404) 603-9744. This dog “spa’ offers aromatherapy and massage for your furry friends. Bed and Bark offers daycare, training and grooming.
- Camp Woof (Decatur) – 608 DeKalb Industrial Way (404) 499-9008. “Camp Cams” allows owners to see how the pooch is while playing indoor and outdoor. Camp Woof offers size specific playgrounds for large and small dogs. A second location is at 4590 Buford Highway in Norcross 770-558-6100.
- Dog Days (Buckhead) – 3225 Cains Hill Place 404- 266-8668 – A cage-free kennel and day care facility offering webcams for mom and dad to watch their fur-babies as they place. Another location can be found at 3571 Broad Street in Chamblee 770-457-0461.
- Duguroo (Midtown) – 1456 Northside Drive (404) 350-7877. Offers daycare, training, grooming and on-site vet services. There are indoor and outdoor play areas.
- Funnybones (Lilburn) – 4 Killian Hill Road 770-925-9030. Provides a cage-free indoor and outdoor environment with private pens for sleep time.
- Kelsey’s Dog House (Buckhead) – 339 Buckhead Ave 404-816-4100. Offers grooming, daycare and boarding for small dogs (under 35 lbs).
- Kirkwood Bark & Lounge (Downtown) – 2006 Hosea L. Williams Drive 404-377-1844. Webcams, small and large dog areas and one-on-one attention are all things that make Kirkwood Bark & Lounge one of most loved daycare and boarding facility.
- Piedmont Bark (Midtown) – 501 Amsterdam Ave 404-873-5400. Piedmont Bark offers boarding, daycare and grooming. Their indoor play area was designed to be an Piedmont Park replica.
- Puppy Haven (Brookhaven | Chastain | Roswell) – Doggy Daycare, Boarding and Grooming.
- Ruff House (Milton) – 12995 New Providence Road 770-619-4282. A boarding, groom and daycare facility with large play areas. The owner lives on the premises.
- Wag-A-Lot (Decatur) – 840 Old Flat Shoals Road 404-522-2230. Indoor and outdoor day care areas including wading pools. Sleep time includes classical music while the pets fall asleep in their “zen dens”.
- Perk-N-Pooch – 6690 Roswell Rd #360, Sandy Springs, GA 30328. 678-500-9237
- Pup-N-Cuts – 4280 Peachtree Road NE, Brookhaven, GA 30319. 404-549-2031
- Duguroo (Midtown) – 1456 Northside Drive (404) 350-7877
- Fur Side Pet Grooming (Decatur) – 308 West Ponce de Leon Avenue 404-687-0660
- That Dirty Dog (Roswell ) – 11255 Woodstock Road Suite 100 770-993-7877
- Wag-A-Lot (Decatur) – 225 Dekalb Industrial Way 404-292-3377
- Shelby Rae Photographs 715-370-3177 – Simply the best! Shelby is amazing at capturing people and pet’s personalities and the wonderful relationship between the two.
- Leesia Teh Photography 404-202-3564 – Leesia’s pet portraits are truly a work of art! She volunteers often taking photos of adoptable pets with Atlanta Pet Rescue. Leesia offers on-location pet photography. Check out Leesia Teh’s blog!
- Atlanta Pet Sitting 404-351-1355 – Serves: Metro Atlanta.
- Barking Up the Right Tree 404-351-5841- Serves: Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton, and Gwinnett Counties.
- Buckhead Pet Pals 404-603-5355 – Serves: Metro Atlanta.
- Canine Cuddle Care 678-862-2245 – Serves: Alpharetta, Dunwoody, Johns Creek, Roswell, and Sandy Springs.
- Ed’s Pet Sitting Service 404-284-1142 – Serves: Avondale Estates, Decatur, and Druid Hills.
- Frolic 404-274-1090 – Serves: Buckhead, Dunwoody, East Cobb, Roswell and Sandy Springs
- Pampered Pet Care of Atlanta 770-248-0321 – Serves: North Fulton County and select Gwinnett County ares.
- Sit-N-Stay 770-380-0286 – Serves: Austell, Mableton, Marietta (limited areas), Smyrna and Vinings.
Animal Control Services and Laws
- Fulton County Animal Ordinances – Because Fulton County does not have a specific chapter on animals, use the search option to view all ordinances related to “Animals”.
- Fulton County Pet License
- Barking Hound Village Foundation 860 Marietta Boulevard, Atlanta 404-613-0358 – Barking Hound Village is under contract with Fulton County to provide animal care and control.
- Cobb County Animal Control – 1060 Al Bishop Drive, Marietta 770499-4136.
- Cobb County Animal Ordinances