The neighborhood of Great Lakes in Decatur offers small town charm with the conveniences of in-town living. Great Lakes is a historic neighborhood mixed with architectural styles, large trees, and green spaces.
It is conveniently located in the Decatur zip code 30030, with easy access to I-85, I-285 and midtown Atlanta.
Here are the top 10 reasons we love Great Lakes and the Decatur Area.
- Award-winning City Schools of Decatur – Great Lakes children attend Clairemont Elementary School,
Renfroe Middle School, and Decatur High School. City Schools of Decatur students perform above state and national levels on standardized test and rank in the top ten districts for SAT performance.
- Great Lakes Neighborhood Association – With an active neighborhood association, residents stay informed about neighborhood and community news through the associations website, emails, quarterly newsletters, and the Yahoo! Group. Members receive a neighborhood directly and can meet other neighbors by attending the many social events throughout the year.
- Location – Great Lakes neighborhood is conveniently located to I-85, I-285 and Midtown Atlanta (via Ponce de Leon Avenue). A short distance from the neighborhood, you will find Emory University, Dekalb Medical Center, the CDC, and the Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta Hospital at Egleston. View map of Great Lakes.
- Annual Events – Decatur has fun events year round primarily held on the Decatur Square. Events include Decatur Green Fest, Decatur Arts Festival, Decatur Beach Party, Pied Piper Parade, Concert and Fireworks, Decatur Garden Tour, Great Decatur Beer Tasting Festival, Decatur Wine Tasting Festival and Decatur Holiday Candlelight Tour of Homes
- Decatur Square – The Decatur Square is the heart and soul of Decatur’s close knit community. With the many restaurants, shops, and bars, the Decatur Square is always filled with neighbors young and old, including their four legged friends. Since Decatur’s neighborhoods are built around the square, most neighbors walk or ride bicycles to the pedestrian-friendly town square. Decatur is know for its small town feel and year round event; just one visit and you’ll see why Decatur is a great place to live.
- Emory – Emory University is a private university founded in 1836. It ranks among the top 20 research universities and is in the consistently ranked in the top 25 among medical, law and business schools. Emory’s main address is 201 Dowman Drive, Atlanta, Georgia 30322. Emory hosts even such as plays, films, concerts and sporting events,
- Druid Hills Golf Club – The Druid Hills Golf Club is a private club located 740 Clifton Road, Atlanta, Georgia, 30307. Established in 1912, Druid Hills Gold Club gives members opportunities to golf, play tennis, swim, work out at the fitness center and dine at one of the three dining rooms.
- Glenlake Park – Located at 1211 Church Street, Glenlake park is a neighborhood park that offers a community pool, tennis courts, a playground and dog park. In 2010, Glenlake Park underwent a three million dollar renovation.
- Fernbank Science Center, Natural History Museum and Forest – The Fernbank Science Center is situated on 65 acres of land which contains original forest vegetation of Georgia Piedmont. The area was conserved and and preserved for science education. In 1967, the Fernbank Science Center was built on 4 acres of land adjacent to the Fernbank Forest. It’s located at 156 Heaton Park Drive in Atlanta. Then in 1992, Fernbank Museum of Natural History was built. It is a museum dedicated to educating people on natural history through permanent exhibitions, temporary exhibitions, and IMAX movies. Fernbank is located at 767 Clifton Road, NE in Atlanta, Georgia 30307.
- Farmer’s Markets – The Decatur Farmer’s Market is open from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Wednesdays at the corner of Commerce Drive and Church Street in downtown Decatur. On Saturdays, the market is open from 9 a.m. to noon at the corner of McDonough and Trinity streets in downtown Decatur, across Trinity from the Dekalb Courthouse and Decatur City Hall. At Dekalb Farmers Market you will discover foods from around the world.